Welsh Highland Railway
Welsh Highland Railway
Saint Helens Road
LL55 2YD Phone: 01286 677018 / 01766 516000 Email: Send Email Website: Visit Website
The Welsh Highland Railway runs from Caernarfon along 25 miles of narrow gauge track to Porthmadog and the round trip takes approximately 5 hours to complete. The complete renovated and extended route was officially opened in April 2011. Along the route passengers are now able to enjoy breathtaking scenery with views over Llyn Cwellyn, the mountains including the peak of Snowdon and the river in the Aberglaslyn Pass.
The station in Caernarfon is adjacent to the harbour and in sight of the Castle Step free access on to the train is via a steep ramp which will accommodate most passengers with manual wheelchairs and smaller powered chairs plus an assistant. NB for larger powered chair users who are able to transfer there is a manual chair available for use at Caernarfon, Porthmadog and Pont Croesor Stations.
There is plenty of space within the accessible carriage and adjacent seating for an accompanying carer.
Hot and cold light refreshments are available on the train.
There are designated toilets located at Caernarfon and Porthmadog stations. Although the staff toilet on the train may be used by passengers on request, it is not wheelchair accessible however there are also designated toilets at some stations along the route and if required, then again on request, the ramp could positioned to enable passengers to alight and use them - for more information please check out the railways own access statement.
This is an excellent day out for all ages and interests and by catching the early train from either Caernarfon or Porthmadog, visitors would have several hours to explore the terminus town before the return journey.
For more information about accessibility on the sister line which runs between Porthmadog and Ffestiniog please click here.
Assessed by Disabled Holiday Information
- Designated Disabled car parking
- Level/ramped wheelchair access to entrance
- Level/ramped wheelchair access into venue (Ramp on to train see photo)
- Prebooking necessary for wheelchair users (not necessary but recommended for wheelchair users who cannot transfer to a seat as there is limited space in the accessible carriage)
- Easy access around ground floor/area of site
- Wheelchair accessible toilet/toilets (located in the booking office at Caernarfon NB there is not a wheelchair accessible toilet on the train see main description for further information on the stations)
- Grab rails in toilet
- Easy access to wash basin
- easy access to hand dryer/towels
- Wheelchair turning space in accessible toilet
- Space for left transfer to toilet (left hand transfer in both the Caernarfon Booking Office and Porthmadog facility)
- Room for carer/carers in accessible toilet (one carer at Caernarfon)
- Level/ramped access to shop (ramped to the shop at caernarfon and level to the shop at Porthmadog)
- Level/ramped access to cafe/tearoom (There is level access to the restaurant at Porthmadog and take-away meals can be also be obtained to eat on the train.)
- assistance dogs welcome (travel free of charge)
- Wheelchair loan/hire (There is a wheelchair available at Caernarfon, Porthmadog and Pont Croesor)
- Wheelchair access to interactive exhibits